Monday, May 14, 2007

Mother's Day Thoughts

Mother\'s Day Jigsaw PuzzleMother\'s Day Jigsaw Puzzle

As Dave was leaving for church this morning, he casually announced, "I bought you a corsage for Mother's Day." Not surprising because he is so thoughtful. When it was time to dress I took it out so that I could find something complimentary to wear with it. It was a yellow orchid which presented a challenge because yellow is not a color that I can successfully wear. I immediately dismissed the only item I own that goes with everything, a little black knit dress, because of the unwelcome pounds that have accumulated recently. After frantic, fruitless searching, I pulled a long-forgotten dress out of Amy's closet that I inherited from my great Aunt Claire, a blue paisley summer dress that she made probably in the 50's or 60's. It was perfect! I could still zip it up, it had just enough yellow in the pattern, and I had hung a delicate pair of peach crocheted gloves and an amber pendant necklace (these items also from Aunt Claire) with it. I was feeling all vintage and chic until I looked in the mirror and realized the outfit was begging for a hat to complete the look; again, something I would never ordinarily wear. Then I remembered saving a couple of my mother-in-laws hats when she moved from her apartment to assisted living, and behold, they were in Amy's closet as well. One was perfect! With the realization that I was onto a "strong women in my family thing," I quickly found a pair of earrings inherited from my mother, a pair of sparkly shoes handed down to me from my little sis, and and an exquisite ring (with a love story) of Aunt Claire's that Janet had given to me. Ah, the look was complete, and I have been enjoying the connection with my family all day. I hope your Mother's Day was a time for bonding with your families as well.

2 comments:

C McPherson said...

This comment was sent to me from my friend, Michelle, who has recently lost her mom to cancer:
"I put on a few things of my mother's yesterday as well....... Just kind of a tribute, I guess. No one else knew but me, but that was enough.

As I was playing the keys yesterday during our praise and worship, I just flooded myself in the music (much of it being very slow and "praisy") and played for both my Savior and my mom (she always loved to hear me play and made sure that I had lessons because "someday I would wish that I had done it"...... Aren't they always right?)

Your photo was beautiful."

Catherine said...

What an awesome picture. I too like my sister Michelle, (each not knowing the other) was paying tribute and honoring our Mom by "putting on some of her things, looking at photos, retracing some of most precious steps and recalling her words of wisdom...to walk in the fear and admiration of the Lord. Mom would be soo soo proud of the Mother Michelle is .....
Your work is Awesome